Tips for Securing Mobile Data
As Smartphones are becoming the very epicenter of human lives, they contain an abundance of information, including bank accounts, text messages, contacts, passwords and credit cards. These devices are readily connected constantly, making them more vulnerable to attacks and scams.
As many businesses offer Smartphones to their employees, especially those in positions where they are constantly traveling and meeting potential clients, being readily on the move means Smartphone data can be accessed by unwanted, prying eyes. While no method is completely foolproof, as cyber attacks are constantly evolving, there are some measures employees can take to help reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim.
- Passwords – Just as someone would use a password to access his/her computer, so too should someone install a password protection system on his/her mobile device. Passwords allow the phone to lock when not in use, preventing sensitive data from being easily compromised.
- System Updates – These are recommended by the manufacturer for a reason – these valuable updates contain patches for vulnerability issues and help further secure data. Always keep devices updated for maximum-security protection.
- Mobile Monitoring Applications – A reliable system helps safeguard data, tracks a stolen or missing phone and fights off mobile threats.
- Links and Files – Always exercise the utmost caution when opening any link or file on a Smartphone. As with any electronic device, never open an attachment from an unfamiliar sender and it is recommended that the user type in the website directly instead of simply following a link, which could result in a phishing attack.
- Exercise Caution on Public Networks – It is advisable to avoid banking and other private related password encryption when on a public Wi-Fi network.
- Install Applications from Trusted Sources – Downloading applications from reputable stores is advisable, especially when compared to an unknown third party.
- Confirm Applications’ Access – For example, some games have direct access to personal data applications. There is no need for this type of information sharing, so regular inspection of data sharing is important for helping minimize security breaches and/or threats.
- Secure VPN – A secure system encrypts data, making it more difficult for thieves to randomly steal information.
Jive, a gateway VoIP business company, offers business phone services for small-, medium- and large-size companies. Offering hosted VoIP systems and complete all-in-one-solutions, their advanced products allow employees to maximize their production, ultimately boosting companies’ revenues and profits.