The Importance of a Disaster Recovery Plan for Business Communications
In the event of a malicious hack or even a natural disaster, a business should not only ensure the safety of their staff, but they also need to take active steps to make sure that their operations don’t suffer because of it. Often, however, a company realizes the relevance and real need for a disaster recovery plan only after it’s already too late. At this point, your business has probably already lost important data, customers, and revenue.
This is especially relevant for businesses that rely heavily on technology. The loss of information, functionality, and communication capabilities can be frustrating, if not downright disastrous for the business.
Consider, for example, the following scenarios:
- In the event of a disaster, businesses that rely on legacy systems have no choice but to lock down their communication system. This means even your own employees will not have access to their communication tools and will be unable to continue servicing clients and customers.
- During a natural disaster such as a big storm, flooding, power outage, or anything similar, a traditional PBX system will probably not even have a dial tone, rendering your business completely inaccessible.
- Legacy systems tie productivity to your physical office. This means, during a big catastrophe, you can’t give your team members the option to work remotely in a safe area.
In such cases, a real plan of action is your first step towards making sure that your business is fully capable of operating in the most efficient way possible. Here’s where Hosted VoIP comes in. While a lot has been said about its ability to foster efficient communication and collaboration, there’s very little talk about what it can do for disaster recovery.
Benefits of Hosted VoIP:
- You have a solid backup plan in the event of an emergency. Hosted VoIP runs on the cloud. Hence, it’s much easier to recover from an on-site disaster. You can still access data from a different location and resume operations even though your physical office is inaccessible.
- Maintain communication lines despite disasters. Hosted VoIP requires a reliable Internet connection to run efficiently. If your physical office loses internet connectivity for whatever reason, simply move to another site to ensure your business remains operational. This ensures that you can easily contact your team and ensure their safety, while keeping communication lines open to minimize disruption to your operations.
- Early detection through real-time monitoring capabilities. One of the key components of a disaster recovery plan is early detection. This helps you kick your plan of action into gear before it severely affects your operations. With clear monitoring systems, Hosted VoIP can help you track and monitor any suspicious activity in the event of a breach so you can quickly address it.
Flexible and agile tools and features help you stay mobile. Hosted VoIP was built to be inherently mobile. This allows the entire platform and all its capabilities to be accessible via all your mobile devices. From your smartphone to your laptop to your tablets, you can get work done if necessary and make sure nothing falls through the cracks while addressing the aftermath of a disaster.
Your Hosted VoIP vendor has a large role to play in how well you’re able to manage a disaster as well as ensuring that your disaster recovery plan is set in motion efficiently. To find out what Jive can do to help, get in touch with us today!